How can I customize the label where it asks for Domain Name?

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by redcart, Sep 15, 2015.

1. redcart

redcart New Member

Hello,

I just upgraded to the latest version and I'm curious how I can customize the "Domain Name" label when it asks for the domain name during the signup process. I'm not sure if there's a template file where I need to customize this or somewhere else. Please advise.

Thank you,

Tommy

2. redcart

redcart New Member

To be more specific, I want our new customers to be able to enter a domain name or a sub domain name that they already own. In the past, it's always been confusing for them and they'll enter their domain name when really we want them to enter something like "shop.theirdomainname.com" so we always have to go back and update their domain name to be a sub domain. How would you recommend that we customize the screen where it asks for the domain name so that this is clear?

Thanks!

3. CE-Sreenath

CE-Sreenath Moderator

Hey Tommy,

To get this working in the way you would like, we have the Subdomains option available under the hosting products, where you can enter a list of subdomains to offer your clients a free alternative to a domain name. When adding/editing a hosting package, you can enter the subdomains you use in a field named Subdomains. Once it's entered, the subdomain will appear when the customers are placing the order and they just need to complete the name.

4. redcart

redcart New Member

Hi Sreenath,

It sounds like you're suggesting that we enter in pre-configured sub domains into the system prior to a customer placing a new order, such as thename.redcart.com. The only problem with that is that we are not offering any sub domains with new accounts. It's the customer that is entering either a sub domain or a full domain name when placing their order. For example:

shop.bobjonesphotography.com
    shop.anotherstudio.com
    clients.studio2.com
    ...etc.

They can also enter their full domain if they aren't using it for anything else like I mentioned below. We have our customers point their domain, or sub domain, to our server with a DNS "A Record" and it's just easier for them to use a sub domain because they are typically already using their main domain for their web site which is hosted on a completely different service.

Is there any other way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Tommy

5. CE-Juan

CE-Juan Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Please open the file:
    \javascript\customfields.js

Search for the line 435:

Code:
    var name = currentFieldData.name; 

Then, add below it something like:

Code: